Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Classes, as Promised

I enjoy almost all my classes, but two are going to be most enjoying to share here. Debate and English: lots of writing and opinions, things I love to express, will be incrementally pasted onto here.
     As it is now my third week of school, two assignments have been given: For English, song lyrics must be analyzed. Any song, but the more influential, the better. Thus I looked to the past, as I find most songs of this era to lack the soul or message I wish to interpret. Two songs are in mind: Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around the Ole Oak Tree and It's Still Rock and Roll to Me. Place your bets for which one I decide!
     Debate is asking for a simple, single-person advocacy speech; something to change the status quo. So simple, I just need to provide four quotations/sources and connect them. Background knowledge is a given. Two topics (again) are in mind: change public school's start time to later (instead of 8am, to 9am) -or- advocate the theoretical Hyperloop over the planned high-speed rail system for California. It's a tough decision, but new technology holds more interest to me. Details to come.
     Because I just finished my Sign Language homework, I'll discuss it next. I like the class, the teacher, and the skills I am learning. It's a new language, for goodness sake. And I'm actually interested in retaining the information (unlike Spanish, which I failed in hs). I definitely need to practice more, though. Talking to people, and being able to read what they're saying; ugh, it's hard, but obtainable.
     My Automotive class is iffy. We're taking apart transmissions (the class is Transmissions and Drivelines) but progress is slow. Despite being in groups, the teacher has a hard time managing all the guys (only guys, what a shame). Not much to say else.
     The Physics teacher should be teaching high school freshmen, not college students. That's what her presentation reflects. It is the beginning physics course, but I feel she could be teaching at a higher level. However she does have enthusiasm for teaching, so can't complain there.
     Lastly, Calculus, which I'm auditing. Best way to put it: I understand the math, but not the concepts. We're studying limits, the lesson is on the aspects of continuity. I can see him (the teacher) do the math, but I don't follow how he got there and does what with this and that. But I don't ask questions because I don't officially belong there. I will have to seek tutoring, but that's my last priority after homework for all the other classes.
     I shouldn't even be writing this, I have
  • a speech to research . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (to be given Wed)
  • a song to analyze . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (draft due next Tues)
  • an accumulating amount of physics hw . . .  (due Wed)
  • and a book to read . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (by this Tues night).
And in my free time,
  • the portrait must be drawn
  • I should look into schools to transfer to (and under what major)
  • the bmw needs an oil change
  • my car should be washed
  • fucking exercise, I actually feel weaker and more ashamed to take off my shirt
  • and help my mom with her various jewelry requests (process pictures, put them on her website, etc.)

Luckily for me, going to 7am calculus is optional. But I feel accomplished when I learn new things there. I didn't intend for this post to be long, oh well.
     Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment