Monday, March 4, 2013

Thoughts on my Tree House

I have a tree house. I have had it since before I was 8. I don't remember specifically why it was built, but it couldn't be far off from my dad just being a good dad and wanting to build something for/with his son. I really enjoyed it, both the building of and playing in it. An extension cord runs from the garage to the house, giving me a sufficient amount of electricity to house a couple lights and some means of entertainment. I say that, because it's varied between a small old radio to an analog tv, and sometimes powered my mom's laptop as I watched movies at night.

     It's a place of seclusion, and if you know anything about me (even just by reading my past posts) you'll know I enjoy being secluded. For some reason, we had a random thin cushion (in terms of width, not thickness), which provided me with a nice place to sleep. It was because of it that I spent the night in there for many summer nights while watching movies and/or playing with Lego, or whatever else. I also had an electricity-sucking heater, so it wasn't terribly cold either.

     Jumping to present day, it's now filled with... what looks like junk. A while back, I had an interest in taking apart used electronics. Printers, a fax, really old computers, a stereo box, hard drives, cd/dvd drives... things that my dad had laying around for no reason. I took them and opened them up with no intentions of putting them back together. Then I would cut the circuit boards, drill holes for chains, and put them on a hanger with the intentions of selling the little circuit boards as keychains. I haven't sold any and now my tree house is cluttered with huge boards and wires and plastic housings and other... crap. I can still walk in and walk around and put the mattress down to take a nap, but the nostalgia of being in there for the sake of being alone has left, mostly in part due to my sister moving out. The bedroom we shared is now mine. With my computer and constant heating, the tree house is just sort of... a novelty of my childhood. Take the fact that the wood is starting to rot and the absence of humans has allowed bugs to settle, it isn't the nicest place to be anymore.

     It isn't weather sealed either. It does have screens where windows are supposed to be, but screens don't retain heat or keep out water. It's dark in there, considering it's surrounded by trees. It was also never insulated, but for a tree house, I suppose that's asking for too much.

     For sentimental reasons, I would like to clean it and restore it to a livable condition, but I don't see that as a priority, especially at my age. I'm in college, and within a year+a few months, I hope to be moving out towards a university. I have school and my odd jobs to take of. I have other projects and hobbies that need my attention.

     In regards to the future, a large tree house (likely to require much ground support) is my desired home. You can all aspire to million-dollar Malibu homes or New York lofts, but I want to find the perfect set of trees, sketch up the perfect layout, and build (with help, of course) my dream home above ground. I have books about tree houses. I have a collection of pictures from the internet. The Hemloft is a great example, although I have something bigger in mind to be considered "livable."

     If I'm not fortunate enough to see this dream come true, it is my minimum priority to find a home for my family with at least one good tree in the back yard... so that I can build my son or daughter a great escape. Add a rope swing, zip line, rope ladder, lookout tower, catapult, secret doors and cabinets, a cool bridge to a gazebo, multiple levels, a lofty bed, a desk, a deck, a loveseat and a fireplace, big windows with shades... who is this for again?

No comments:

Post a Comment