Wednesday, March 6, 2013

More About My Current Life

I've been doing pretty well in my Pre-Calc class. I only have 4 classes this semester because I wanted to dedicated my time to the difficult subject. So far it's worked out. I have a pretty good teacher and the material (we're in Chapter 3, which is new territory) is still manageable, as is the homework.
     The second of my work-intensive classes is my "Production Planning" class. I have previously been working on a script for a film I wish to produce, and this class is aimed at helping me (us, the students, with their own projects) actually produce it. I've worked on it for over a year, intensely detailing the characters in it and trying to form a story around them. I haven't worked on it too often, though, which is why it's taken me so long. But overall, this is good news, because I'm glad that I'm working on it again. That type of work is fun, so it isn't really work.
     Speaking of work, I still don't have technically a "job," but I do have another source of income. Previously, it was only the dog boarding service (DogVacay.com, I am a host), and now it's also paid-volunteering at "Little League" baseball parks nearby. I was once a part of the program, which is basically kids playing baseball from T-Ball to "Majors." Parents have the option of volunteering in the snack bar during games, or to pay $60 to not volunteer and instead hire a kid like me. So there's like, 10 or so teenagers/young adults that are called in to fill a spot when a parent options out. Since it's on-call, it's not steady income, but it's not no income, and it's relatively easy money. It doesn't take much of my time and the pay is decent for what it is. All of these are good news for me, so I'm a happy camper.

If you're a consistent reader, you'll know I teach, or at least I have shared my thoughts about teaching. But for recap, I voluntarily assistant-teach at my high school in my tv/film class. I teach ideas and skill and assign some homework and projects to further develop these skills. I don't follow what the teacher does for the other 4 days of the week (I teach on the 5th).
     The class is required to produce a broadcast; a news program that is supposed to air across all the tv's in school. So, news, events, PSA's, etc. need to be made. I teach skills more geared towards filmmaking, not necessary news production, but I do believe many of the principles apply to both fields. The teacher instructs them to create the broadcast and gives them the tools and skills needed to do so.
     The problem is that the kids aren't motivated and organized well enough to do the work. In previous years, students have made broadcasts of a low quality, but at least they made them. This year, this kids have been given so much structure and skills that, to me, seems like a huge burden to perform well. But the fact that they aren't motivated and/or passionate about making something, let alone making something cool, is holding them back.
     I have tried several ways to embrace the skills they learn and turn it into a passion; a worthy trade worth showing off. Something they can be proud of. I don't think I've gotten through to them because I haven't spent enough time with them. If they could really see what passion achieves, I think they may become more motivated. Sure there are many more factors, but that's one of the most important aspects.
     This past Friday when I taught, I asked the class "What makes a broadcast?" in order to answer the more important question "Why haven't you made a broadcast?" because by now, they should have made several. They reluctantly raised their hands and gave me things to write on the board. They gave me physical things that need doing, and some mental aspirations that they need to have in order to get those things done.
     Seeing as how they were struggling with motivation and following the structure, I said to dismiss it. Do what they want. Take a camera with them anywhere, record someone talking, collect a story, and turn it into something we want to watch. It's not hard. Record stuff, and edit together the cool parts. Yes, it would end up being low quality. Yes, it might be boring. Yes, it might not be news-worthy.
     But at this point, it's something. It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment