Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Thoughts on Bullies

I saw this comic recently and had a good laugh.
      And I've even thought about this concept many times before. This is the first that I've heard/seen anyone think the same thing.

Now this may start some opinionated differences, but I want to hear them. My opening argument: bullies are good for society.

I was bullied as I kid. I wasn't one of them. And yet, I favor having them. They didn't emotionally scar me or ruin my childhood/life, but they did shape me into a better person. Frankly, the comic does an excellent job of explaining why: weird kids are difficult to socialize with, and bullying was the way of learning to become... normal. You know the phrase, to be a man. Not some loser, not some terribly geeky pimple of society. They conformed and were therefore more beneficial to society.
     Fuck, I'm having difficulty writing this because I already have a bunch of arguments against what I just said. So here, I'm on your side too, beginning with: Some bullies are truly nasty people who do in fact ruin lives of little kids through violence and teasing and crude practical jokes and hugely embarrassing moments. I didn't experience that to such a degree, nor have I met anyone confessing this (or maybe they've hidden those feelings and moved on...?) and I'm not going to trust movies on this delicate topic. Right, so I realize that some kids grew up with severe troubles. And yes, I am against the degree that the bullies take. I am not against eliminating bullies. There is a difference between a practical joke to be taken lightly and an intentional fuckin' slaughter of someone's emotional state.
     The message that bullies send to weird kids are to stop being so fuckin' weird. Frankly I find it to be that simple, considering that's the message that I picked up as I was a kid. I was bullied, and I cried on some occasions, don't you forget that. I didn't have it easy. Was I in a fight? Not... necessarily. I've been pushed around  and I've had my clothes torn and tried to defend myself and, no wait, I tore some guys shirt beecause he was holding on to me. I remember that. He was an asshole and probably still is. Would I do anything about it today? No. The past is the past and I'm not holding grudges.

Anyway, weird antisocial ugly kids need to learn to change themselves. No matter what, no matter WHAT, society, any of it, will, consciously or not, be discriminate towards antisocial ugly people. That's how we've all been raised through the media, and hey, through bullying. NOW I'M NOT SAYING that there is something WRONG with those antisocial ugly people. I'M SAYING society as a whole will have difficulty accepting them, and that they will have a hard time fitting into society. That's why bullying is important in school. School is a mere practice of life, whether or not you agree of its accuracy. Please understand my reasoning, whether or not you agree with it.
     Those people can be who and what they already are without having to change. I accept them for who they are for two reasons: I have learned tolerance, and I know from experience that change is difficult for many people. I'm not asking for anyone to change, at least not significant personality traits. Most of that shit, you have to get used to. Deal with it.
     I feel as though I'm talking as if I'm both the victim and the bully. But I want to clarify that I'm only stating my opinions regarding the topic, I'm not implying change or pity for either party. Stay with me here.
     You know, I think I've made my point. I'm done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment