Monday, July 29, 2013

Cocky Neighbor

I work on my car in my driveway so often that I get asked about it by neighbors. This story isn't about what I've done recently, but what someone else did recently.

A neighbor of a different street has to pass by mine to get to where he's going. He's a guy a bit older than me whom I have never met, but I've seen this buy more often than I've seen most of my own friends this whole year.
     He drives a BMW E36 M3. Naturally, it's a proper manual, as it should be. I know this just by listening to the engine/his gear changes as he drives by. It also has a loud exhaust, although I'm not sure if it is stock; those cars, similar to my dad's, actually do have good-sounding engines from the factory. Irrelevant; anyway:
     I've seen him go down the street, and in all likeliness, he's probably seen me outside working on my car. I've never talked to him, made eye contact, or anything. But earlier this night, that sort of changed. It did, but didn't...?

I was driving my car, and stopped at a red light, waiting to turn left. To my left, he stops at his red light, waiting to turn left. I think there was another guy in there too. Remember, my Miata is pretty distinguishable with its cheesy racing stripes on the side. So he knows it's me, just as I know it's him over there.

(getting to the point)
Imagine being me: I have a pretty bone-stock car. Not loud, not fast (but still fun!). I know his is fast and loud. I know he'd easily whoop my ass in a race. But I think my stripes on the car give the impression that mine is a fast car.
     I get the green light first, so I turn onto the street he's on, passing next to him. What am I supposed to do? Drive normally? Rev my dinky engine? Overpower it and drift past? Do I look at him, give a dirty look, a neutral, or a smirk, or smile?
     The first one: drive normally. It wasn't a hard decision.

     But he revs his engine as I pass by. What? Why? Was he being cocky? Was he just saying "Hey, I know you"? I doubt that. Did he give me a look? I don't know; frankly, I ignored it, finished my turn, and didn't look at him at all.

Most of you (if any of you) probably think I'm really over analyzing this. I admit this is a really uneventful story. But in guy terms, in car guy terms... let me put it this way:
     Two cars pull up to a red light. One revs his engine. This means one and only one thing: race on green. Roll the windows down and give each other the nod and rev engines more, if you want. Etc.
     So him revving his engine as I pass by is a bit confusing to me. He was being cocky, yes, but what am I supposed to do? U-turn and pull up next to him? No...

I dunno. This is just bothering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment